Here’s a video that demonstrates vertical flutter kicking:
- Go to the deep area of the pool, get into a vertical position and start to flutter kick.
- The kick should start from the hip, move down the leg and finish with a whipping motion of the foot.
- The kicking movements should be quick and compact.
- You should try to keep your head above the water surface and keep your arms still, either extended sideways or crossed over your chest.
- However, if your kick is weak and it is difficult for you to keep your head above water, a light sculling motion with the arms is allowed.
- Do a few 15 second sets at each swim session.
- Gradually increase the time per set.
With regular practice your kick will improve and the drill will become easier. To up the ante, you can then try to keep your arms above the water or even hold something above your head like a ball.
Once you are comfortable with the drill, add a little twist: start the drill in the usual vertical position, then progressively tilt your body forward in the water until it is horizontal. Keep on kicking while you move forward until you reach the end of the lane. Don’t forget to breathe though! 🙂