This article discusses the characteristics of a lycra swim cap to help you decide if this is the right kind of swim cap for you.
A lycra swim cap is made of the same material as most swim suits are made of, which is in fact a mix of lycra and polyester. Certain ones also have an additional coating on the outside for improved durability and impermeability. It has the following characteristics:
- It is thicker than a latex swim cap (but about the same thickness as a silicone swim cap).
- It has a soft comfortable feel.
- It can come in a lot of different colors, as is made possible by the lycra fabric. Most often however it sports a single color or at most two colors.
- It has a neutral smell (unlike a latex swim cap for example).
A lycra swim cap has the following advantages:
- If is often more comfortable to wear than a latex or silicone one because it constricts the head less.
- It is also often more easier to put on and to remove and pulls less on your hair.
- It evacuates the heat better from your head when you swim in hot water.
- As it is made of the same material than your swim suit it is possible to match your cap’s and your swimsuit’s color.
- Its edges don’t stick together when dry, unlike a latex or silicone swim cap.
A lycra swim cap has the following disadvantages:
- The material is more permeable and protects your hair less from chlorine.
- It doesn’t keep your head warm if you swim in cold water.
- It takes more time to dry than a silicone or latex swim cap.
- It is more expensive than a latex swim cap (but about the same price as a silicone cap).
- With time the fabric becomes less elastic and the cap has a tendency to slip more. Whereas latex or silicone swim caps must often be replaced because they tear, lycra caps often must be replaced because they have lost their elasticity and slip all the time.
A lycra swim cap might be the right kind of swim cap for you if you swim in water that isn’t too cold, want to have a swim cap that is comfortable and doesn’t pull your hair, and you aren’t concerned about getting chlorine into your hair.