This is an advanced balance drill. Once you have mastered it you’ll have all the balance you ever need for swimming front crawl (and even backstroke).
InstructionsThe starting position is the same one as in the previous Head-Lead Side Balance and Head-Lead Nose Up / Nose Down drills (Sweet Spot):
- Your body is rolled on the side, at an 45° angle from a flat position.
- Your face is turned upward.
- Your arms are kept at the sides.
- You use a supple flutter kick for propulsion.
- Roll your body further until it is at an 90° angle with the water surface and your face is turned downward.
- Continue to flutter kick.
- Still roll further in the same direction until you are back in the initial position but floating on the other side of your body.
- Roll your body as a unit, don’t anticipate the rotation with your head.
Swimming Drill Tips
- Don’t use your arms or your hands to initiate the rotation but rather use your kick.
- Don’t hold your breath while the head is submerged, exhale continously through your nose and/or your mouth. A nose clip can help by keeping water out of the nose.
- Try to directly dial into the initial position as you roll towards it from the nose down position.