This article discusses the characteristics of a silicone swim cap as well as its advantages and disadvantages. This can especially be helpful if you are a beginner and wonder which kind of swim cap you should get.
While the latex swim cap was and still is popular, certain swimmers exhibit allergic reactions when they wear such a cap. To prevent this problem, manufacturers started to use silicone as a material for swim caps, as silicone doesn’t lead to allergic reactions. Nowadays silicone caps are the most popular kind.
A silicone cap has the following characteristics:
- It is made of flexible silicone.
- It is a little bit thicker than a latex swim cap.
- It has a neutral smell.
- It is more shiny than a latex swim cap.
- It can sport one or several colors per swim cap.
A swim cap made of silicone has the following advantages:
- It doesn’t generate allergic reactions like latex does.
- It protects your hair well from chlorine.
- It lasts longer than a latex swim cap, because it doesn’t get attacked by chlorine and because it is thicker and therefore tears less easily.
- Because it is thicker than a latex swim cap it keeps the head warmer in cold water.
- It often looks better than its latex or neoprene counterparts because it can sport several different color combinations and because its finish is more shiny.
- Swim caps with a more exotic shape (for example the funny ones with a shark fin or the more serious ones with a chin strap) are often made of silicone because the material is better suited to create more complex shapes.
A swim cap made of silicone has the following disadvantages:
- It is more expensive than a latex swim cap.
- It is less comfortable than a latex swim cap because it is thicker, less flexible and constricts the head more. On the other hand, it seems that your hair gets pulled less in silicone swim caps.
- A silicone swim cap can slip a little bit more than a latex swim cap (but less than a lycra swim cap).
The silicone swim cap is your first choice if you are alleric to latex or want a better looking swim cap that lasts longer, even though it is a little bit more expensive.